News from OBA
Thanks to all who attended our OBA General Meeting on December 3, 2014, and also the OBA/OLCA Networking Meeting on the same date!
The Ohio Lactation Consultants Association presents its 23rd Breastfest, February 27-28, 2015, Columbus, Ohio: The First 1000 Seconds, First 1000 Minutes: Lifelong Influence on Mother, Baby, Breastfeeding, featuring Dr. Nils Bergmann and Jill Bergmann. The conference brochure can be found here. Online registration is at the OLCA website.
More news about breastfeeding events and conferences in Ohio:
Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, PhD, IBCLC, FAPA addresses
- Depression in New Mothers
- Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
- Weighing in on Obesity and Breastfeeding
- Birth Trauma: Causes and Consequences of Childbirth-Related PTSD
- Burnout, Compassion Fatigue, and Self-Care for Members of the Perinatal Team
- Wednesday, December 10, 2014
- Auditorium, ProMedica St. Luke's Hospital
- 5901 Monclova, Maumee, OH 43537
- This program is an educational event co-provided by ProMedica and the Region III+ Perinatal Education Consortium.
- See Complete Brochure Here
Is your healthcare facility interested in promoting and protecting breastfeeding? Here's an important first step: Support the WHO Code for Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes by removing advertising and marketing about infant formula from your healthcare setting. Visit BanTheBags.org for detailed information about why and how removing free formula samples and advertising supports breastfeeding. You can also visit our Resources page for Healthcare Providers to find more links to great information on supporting breastfeeding in your clinical setting.
The Ohio Department of Health released Ohio's Plan to Prevent and Reduce Chronic Disease. This includes an objective that targets breastfeeding as an important preventative factor in reducing chronic disease. OBA is a partner for implementation of Objective 1.14: "By 2018, increase the percent of babies who are breastfed while in the hospital." (pg. 23)
OBA is seeking new Leadership Board members. We are currently seeking representatives for Region 5 (Northeastern Ohio/Lake Erie Shoreline) and for Region 7 (Southeast Ohio). For more information about OBA regions, please see our map. Regional Representatives are appointed to the OBA Leadership Board by their local coalitions seeking representation and participation in the state coalition. Please contact your local coalition and let them know you are interested in representing them, or contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.